Born in 1977 in Sao Paulo (Brazil), Mauricio Benega moved to New Zealand in 2004 and now lives and works as a full time artist in Te Awanga
Mauricio graduated with a Bachelor Degree of Visual Arts & Computer Graphics in 2001 at University of Tuiuti Parana, Brazil. He has also completed a Post-Graduation in School Administration & Visual Arts in 2004 at FAE Business School in Curitiba, Brazil and a Diploma of Visual effects & Motion Graphics in 2009 at Media Design School in Auckland, New Zealand.
Working from his studio based in Te Awanga, Hawke's Bay, he opened a business called Studio Benega Ltd, a creative company dealing with creative art projects. Such as, exhibitions, murals, workshops, illustrations, design, signage, project management, commissions and of course paintings.
He believes knowing more techniques and tools helps with the creative process. Working on different projects and experimenting, is a good way to keep yourself fresh and inspired.
Mauricio's work can be found in collections in NZ, Brazil, Australia, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany, USA, Bali and Singapore.
He has participated in more then 30 Art and Comic contests around the world.
- 1 Award Story Board / Comic magazine selection - Heavy Metal Brazil - 1997.
- 5 Art Awards - Brazil - 1998 - 2004
- 2 Awards in design - 2012 - 2014
- 12 solo exhibitions.
- 13 group exhibitions contemporary art - 1998 - 2015
- 17 Art shows in New Zealand - 2012 - 2021
- 5 times back to back selected for the Contemporary New Zealand Art Calendar - 2018 - 2022
- EAST Biennial Hastings City Gallery - 2016
- Imago Mundi - Luciano Benetton Collection Contemporary Artists New Zealand Exhibition - Italy - 2017
- The Big Hoot Auckland - 2018
- Hawke's Bay Wine Auction Artist - 2019
- The Acorn Project 10 guitars art auction - 2020
- EAST Biennial - Hastings City Art Gallery - 2020
- The Path Exhibition - Hastings City Art Gallery - 2021
- The Big Apple Project - 2022
- Auckland Art in the Park - 2022
- Auckland Art in the Park - 2023